Leading causes of residential fires in Hammond and how to prevent them
When you own a home, there are numerous hazards to consider. Fire is chief among them, as it can arise in any place and anytime. The U.S. Fire Administration estimated an astounding $8.9 billion in property damage across the United States because of residential fires in 2021. In the same year, there were over 350,000 documented occurrences. Fortunately, there are actions you can take to keep them from taking place|. Take a look at the causes and how to prevent house fires in Hammond.
What causes residential fires in Hammond?
Fires can sprout up anywhere and without warning, whether sparked by a burning cigarette in a waste container or a neglected stovetop. Here are the top causes of residential fires.
- Cooking: Incidents in the kitchen are the most widespread kinds of residential fires in Hammond and elsewhere. Neglected stovetops are the main origin, so always watch that hot skillet when making a meal. It’s also worth nothing that throwing water on a grease fire will only make things worse.
- Heating: Area heaters are a well-known cause of residential fires. Running them for too long might result in internal elements breaking down and igniting. Putting heaters near flammable textiles like bed sheets and curtains or using worn cords will also lead to devastating results. Other heating devices, such as fireplaces and furnaces, could cause fires and should be examined frequently.
- Electrical: Outdated wiring, malfunctioning outlets, and overwhelmed extension cords are some ways electrical problems cause fires. Don’t use an appliance with a tattered cord, and ensure flammable substances like paper aren’t layed on top of a lampshade, get it inspected right away.
- Candles: If there's a flame, there's the possibility of fire. Residential fires due to candles are still all too common and usually result from careless behavior. Putting them within an area reachable by pets or next to flammable materials will often result in disaster.
- Smoking: In spite of the overall reduction in smoking across the country, it’s still an undeniable fire hazard. The U.S. Fire Administration estimated that 7,800 residential fires were caused by smoking in 2021. Falling asleep with a cigarette in hand or prematurely discarding smoldering ashes can give rise to destructive results.
The best way to prevent house fires in Hammond is to eliminate negligent behavior. Always pay attention when cooking, never leave a candle burning, and properly discard cigarettes. If you need to operate a space heater, do so in short intervals and use one that includes an automatic shut-off switch in the event it is knocked over.
Protect your family with a monitored fire alarm in Hammond
You need to have smoke detectors on each floor and think about installing more by sleeping areas. But you can take your safety to another level with a monitored fire alarm. These beneficial safety features will not only detect smoke but can also be triggered due to extreme heat. Furthermore, since they incorporate into your modern smart home, they’ll alert you and your monitoring professionals whenever a crisis occurs. This is a worthwhile feature, particularly when you’re not there to hear the alarm and phone the fire department yourself.
Safeguard your home against common dangers with a Vivint smart home in Hammond
Enhance the safety of your residence today with a Vivint smart home. You may customize our systems with monitored fire alarms, CO detectors, and flood sensors. You’ll appreciate the instant alerts to your smartphone and the peace of mind that you enjoy with professional monitoring. Contact (219) 500-8943 to talk with a Vivint representative.