Helpful safety tips for new homeowners in Hammond
If you recently acquired your first home or you’re getting closer to the closing date, congratulations! It’s a thrilling time for you and yours. You’re probably pondering all the ways you might individualize your property with decor, paint, and furnishings. But, before you get too caught up in home improvements, make sure you give thought to home security as well. Keeping your loved ones shielded from harm should always be a point of emphasis, and we’ll help you do so with these safety tips for new homeowners in Hammond.
Conduct a safety review of your new Hammond property
Now that you’re contemplating safety, find out what your new home has in place. First, ensure you have working fire alarms. Try every one and replace batteries if required. Are there CO detectors? Is there a water sensor in your basement? This is also an excellent time to replace door locks and inspect all locking mechanisms on windows. Go through every space and get familiar with your property.
Smart security tips for your Hammond home
Once you’ve finished your initial check of safety alarms and locks, you can look into improving your property’s safety. To get started, consider these security tips for your home in Hammond.
- Install a full-featured home security system. One of the best things a new homeowner in Hammond can do is incorporate a home security system. Modern wireless advancements let you keep an eye on your home even when you’re away. You can review live video footage, operate entry locks, and even talk to visitors at your door right from your mobile device. You can even customize with worthwhile security features like surveillance cameras and monitored fire alarms.
- Modernize your outside lighting. Exterior lights with motion detection are a great way to deter prospective intruders. You may even integrate them with video cameras. The tripping of a motion sensor can tell your surveillance to record.
- Keep your yard nicely groomed. Do you have an unobstructed sightline of your property from inside? Are there overgrown trees and bushes blocking your view? Get rid of potential hiding spots for burglars by keeping your yard well maintained. Your neighbors will be grateful for it also.
- Get to know people in your community. Speaking of your neighbors, get acquainted with them. If you know people close to you, they’ll be more likely to advise you if they see suspicious activity. You might also connect to your area’s social media page if one is available.
- Benefit from home automation. If you go with a modern smart home, you can make it look like you’re home by turning on smart light bulbs at predetermined times. This is a great feature when you’re at work or on vacation.