Ways to cut down on false alarms in Hammond
False alarms may become a real concern for your home’s security. Not only are they costly and time-consuming, but they may erode the faith you have in your installation. Luckily, you can do a few things to minimize false alarms from your Hammond home security system.
First, be sure that your devices installed as intended. This will probably seem like common sense, but it’s often the case that simple miscues result in false alarms. Next, watch out for potential causes of false alarms, including entry points that might be left ajar by accident. And of course, don't hesitate to integrate the various features like home automation and geotracking to cut down on false alarms in Hammond.
Could it be really that easy? Keep reading to see for yourself.
Can you avoid false alarms in Hammond?
When figuring out any concern, the best course of action is to read the owner’s instruction booklet. Make sure all alarms and sensors are set up correctly on your end by:
- Running a diagnostic via your touchscreen smart hub.
- Manually check each sensor to make sure it didn't become dislodged or need fresh batteries.
- Check your schedules and presets to ensure that your home’s security isn’t engaging at inopportune times.
- Make sure all recently added smart components are incorporated correctly and aren't conflicting with your system.
Call your Vivint agent if you are still having trouble cutting down false alarms in your Hammond home. They'll gladly send out a trained expert to check your equipment.
Investigate your windows and doors
If your system seems to be installed properly, the subsequent course of action is to do a sweep of your residence. Are all your windows and doors tightly secured, or might there be a few accidentally cracked? If an access point remains open, it may trigger a motion sensor. If your household routinely forgets to secure an entry point, you might want to implement a smart locking mechanism that locks automatically when your system goes live. Unfortunately, windows take extra hands-on attention, mainly if you have a family member who enjoys to rest with an open window. Luckily, your Vivint installation makes it a breeze to disengage that device while protecting the rest of the property.
Automation can be a great way to cut down on false alarms in Hammond
One of the most effective methods to minimize the probability of false alarms is to incorporate smart home automation into your alarm system. When utilizing your security app, you’re able to:
- Program a schedule to turn off the alarm when you’re on site and prevent false alarms that happen due to absentmindedly opening doors or windows. You can then program the alarm to reactivate automatically again that evening as you prepare for bed.
- Program the alarm to disarm as your smart front door lock is triggered with the correct code.
- Set geotracking to arm the alarm if you exit the driveway, then turn off when you return.
- Receive cell phone notifications when your devices notice unusual movements or need a battery change.
- Pair your system to a smart assistant like Google Home or Alexa, so you are able to turn your system on or off without the cell phone app or smart home hub.
Cut down on false alarms in Hammond by switching to a Vivint smart home
An enhanced level of control over your alarm system means less chance of false alarms. To build your Vivint home security system, contact (219) 500-8943 or complete the form on this page.